The textile collection was founded in 1978 by the Heidelberg manufacturer Max Berk. It is idyllically situated in the Neckar valley and has been affiliated with the Kurpfälzisches Museum (Palatinate Museum) since 1 January 2002. The collection is located in the former Protestant church in Ziegelhausen, built in 1733 by J.J. Rischer, and adjacent vicarage. The exhibition area today is approximately 600 m². The museum is divided into several sections, although several of these sections, including the extensive array of women’s costumes from the 18th to the 20th century and a small collection of doll’s houses, are not always on display.
The sections permanently open to visitors house exhibits from outside Europe, such as textiles from India, batiks from Java, ikats from Bali and relics from Peruvian graves, plus antique patchwork quilts from England and the US from the 19th and 20th century, which form one of the main focuses of the Max Berk textile collection. The regular special exhibitions, such as the European Quilt Triennial, always attract many visitors.